So I’ve enjoyed my short break from traveling over the last month, using my time to get settled into my new place, exploring Harlem more, and most importantly NOT living out of a suitcase lol…
But as I gear up to get back on the road this week, I know that in order for me to have super productive travel, I have to remember to pack the things I need. So of course this morning I pulled out my trusty-dusty list of things to pack before I take flight; my small blue brush, favorite fragrances, extra contact lenses, you know, the usual items that most folks need. However, what’s special about THIS list is that it also happens to include very specific items that only apply to me and MY needs for a week on campus; my Macbook adapter, a presentation clicker, appropriate Google clothing, business cards, etc.
As I strolled out this morning feeling accomplished lol, I wondered how much more productive of a week I might have if I used this same concept for my own spiritual journey. What things would I need on my list to help me accomplish the more internal, specific goals that God sets for me each week? Much like my packing list, I suppose this list should be just as detailed and just as specific to meet the needs of my day-to-day tasks. So I asked myself, “Spiritually, what items will I need to bring with me this week in order to have a happy, healthy, successful week?”
I immediately knew what needed to be on that list:
- Patience– Because I KNOW someone is gonna test me lol.
- Romans 12:12 “Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.”
- Humility– Because its so easy for me to get comfortable in the privileges that I have.
- Colossians 3:12 “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”
- Love– Because there is someone who needs to see the Christ in me.
- 1 Corinthians 16:14 “Let all that you do be done in love.”
- Faith– Because I know something that I didn’t anticipate is BOUND to happen.
- 1 Corinthians 2:5 “That your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.”
- Steadfastness– Because the going WILL get tough.
- Romans 5:4 “And endurance produces character, and character produces hope.
- Peace– Because frustration is REAL.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:16 “Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you all.
Creating this list as a reminder of what I need to “pack” for my daily, spiritual journey (be it at work, church, or with family and friends) will not only equip me with the right items to have a productive week, but will also allow me to please God in the process. If we fail to plan, we plan to fail, right?
So your homework assignment today is to ask yourself the same question, write up your list, include some helpful verses, read it each day, and take on this week with a plan to win!