That awkward moment when EVERYTHING and EVERYONE around you is stressing you out. Yea, that’s me right now. And I’m at my breaking point lol.
But seriously though, I’ve been feeling super stressed over the last few months and realize after talking to friends and family, that it’s not just me feeling this way. Whether you’re dealing with a tough boss, crazy kids, or even leading an uprising (ahem ahem, shout out to Baltimore), lots of us are dealing with stress and lots of us are dealing with stress in unproductive ways. As we think about our walk in Christ, we must remember that God is here for EVERY plight, including the very things that might seem trivial to us. So in that light I wanted to share with you the ways in which we as Christians should consider working through stress because it is REAL and can take over if we let it. So here you have it, the Top 5 Ways to Deal With Stress as Christians:
1. Pray and Fast– We sometimes forget that we can pray to God about A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G! That colleague whose disrespecting you in the workplace or your son getting in trouble at school- God wants to hear it all. I honestly love how great of a listener God is, but MORE than that, I LOOOVEE when I get to hear God SPEAK. If you’re dealing with stressors, tell God about it and then allow Him to guide you accordingly. Oftentimes, we may even have to fast in order to receive either a breakthrough in that stressful circumstance or simply for discernment from God regarding that situation. In Mark 9:29 , Jesus affirms that some things can only be driven out through prayer AND fasting.
2. Eliminate Stressors.- Faith Without Works is DEAD. You can pray and fast all day and night, but some circumstances require you to MOVE and ACT. I love the picture below because it makes so clear for me some of the things AND PEOPLE that I need to remove from my life because they are the main sources of my stress. What and who is responsible for stressing you out? Maybe its time to get rid of them? Of course, for example, if your job is your main source of stress you might wanna pray on that before outrightly quitting, BUT do know I believe we’re entitled to have peace and joy in this lifetime and if you need to rearrange some things to have that, then so be it.
3. Add in non-stressors.- I got the chance to see my niece and nephews over the last few months and just being with them puts life back into perspective for me. They are literally my peaceful place. I also love one-on-one time with God. I love listening to music. And reading. And eating lol. Sometimes when we’re overwhelmed with the stressors of life, we forget to do the things we love the most. As a way to combat that, try to be actively present in something you love doing at least once a week (so long as said thing is NOT harmful to you or others lolol). And if you need some encouragement, here are 100 Bible verses on Joy.
4. Fight the GOOD fight.- My caveat to all of this feel-good stuff is of course that sometimes life wont always be peachy-keen and some things we just HAVE to go through in order to be developed for our next season. In which case, some stressors you cant necessarily pray away. In fact, some tests and trials are gonna hurt like hell but the pain is required to grow, so if that’s the situation you find yourself in, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT. Still pray, but still fight lol. I LOOVEE 1 Peter 5:10 which says, “And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.”
5. Trust God.- Simply put. At the end of the day, GOD IS IN CONTROL, and don’t ever forget it. Plain and simple in Proverbs 3: 5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.”
Hope this helps, and if not for you, I suppose I just needed to hear it myself.